[The recent developments which has been taking place in the Markaz Nizamuddeen and some fatwas issued by Darul Uloom Deoband has put the laymen into quandry regarding the Jama’at activities.
Some Miscreants and opposers are taking advantage of this and they are trying to create a fitnah from those developments by highlighting the work of Tabligh in a negative manner.
In the following Question & the Response, the Darul Uloom Deoband makes its stance clear to the laymen to continue to work with the Jama’at, the disputes of the elders should be left to them to decide and this should never effect the laymen and in the propagation of the da’wah work albeit with certain points which needs to be reflected upon]:
Question: Is Mufti Saeed Ahmad Paalanpuri against the Tabligh Jama’at or not? The reason why I am asking is that I received a message that it is his Fatwa, that the Tabligh Jama’at is dressing itself in the costume of another sect. Should I now dissociate from the Jama’at? For a month now I am in a quandary as to what is right and what is wrong. I can’t even sleep at night. I am worried. I don’t know what my objective should be. Please guide me.
Response by Darul Uloom Deoband:
Bismillahir Rahmaanir Raheem
Neither is Mufti Saeed Ahmad Sahib nor any Aalim of Darul Uloom Deoband against the Tabligh Jamaat. Yes, some Tabligh members have deviated and indulged in ghuluw (haraam fanaticism). They are speaking a lot of errant nonsense. Examples are give below, one should follow this individually:
1. They apply Aayaat of the Qur’aan purely referring to Jihaad, to Tabligh work. This is another form of Tahreef (interpolation).
2. The Madaaris of Islam are redundant and of no benefit. Ilm Deen is acquired by going out with the Jamaat.
3. What have the Ulama done until now? They have done nothing. Whatever has spread of Deen has not been by the hands of the Ulama, rather it has spread through the Tabligh Jama’at. The Ulama have done 4% of work whilst the Jama’at Brothers 96%. Furthermore, the Ulama have not done work for the sake of Allah, but for salaries.
4. If any Aalim gives Tafseer of the Qur’aan they stop him and say that only Fadhaail A’maal should be read; no other kitaab should be read.
5. There is no need for Taqwa and Tazkiyah Nafs. By going out with the Jama’at all these will be achieved.
6. They do not keep any Aalim as Imaam or Mudarris who has not given one year out with the Jama’at. If unknowingly such an Aalim is kept and thereafter it becomes known that he did not go out for a year, they remove him from Imaamate and Teaching. They do not give their daughters in marriage to him.
7. They despise the Ulama. They debate with them.
8. Whoever has not given a chillah is not thought of as a Deendaar, in fact not even as a Muslim.
9. Whoever does not join the customary Nizaamuddeen Tabligh, no matter how much Deeni service he may have done, they do not consider that to be Deeni work.
Many issues of a similar nature have constrained not only Mufti Saeed Sahib Paalanpuri, but also other Ulama and Buzrugaan-e-Deen to say that the Tabligh Jama’at is on course of becoming a new sect. Leaving aside the methodology of the Qur’aan and Hadith they are following their own methodology and innovated ‘deen’.
Observing all these developments, intelligent and pious people of the Deen are really concerned. Observing developments of this nature in the Markaz of Nizaamuddeen, responsible members of the Tabligh Jama’at have not only become concerned, they have distanced themselves.
This is the result of deviating from the Balanced Path. Do not leave the work of the Jama’at. Do continue with the work. However, do not deviate from the Balanced Way. Do the work in the manner and according to the Usool which Hadhrat Maulana Ilyaas Sahib had laid down for this work. Insha-Allah, then no one will point fingers.
Wallahu Ta’ala A’lam
Darul Ifta, Darul Uloom Deoband.