- Shaykhul-Hadeeth Mufti Muhammad of Jaami’atur-Rasheed, Karachi.
The month of Rajab is of much importance due to the fact that Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) after sighting the moon of Rajab made this du’aa,
ALLAAHUMMA BAARIKLANAA FEE RAJABA WA SHA’BAAN WA BALLIGHNAA RAMADHAAN
“Oh ALLAAH grant us Barakah in the month of Rajab & Sha’baan & make us reach Ramadhaan.”
Grant us such ability that we reach Ramadhaan & perform the Fasts & Worships in Ramadhaan. This riwaayat (narration) is acceptable at the least even though its not completely saheeh (authentic), but it can be used for the purpose of Fadhaail (Virtues). Except this everything that is being narrated with regards to Rajab is not proven through any mustanad (authentic) sanad (chain).
Generally this has become famous that 27th of Rajab is the night of Me’raaj. And on this night (of 27th Rajab) ALLAAH Ta’aalaa granted this precious bounty to Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) of travelling through the heavens & interacting with ALLAAH Ta’aalaa in person. And Salaah was also gifted at that moment.This assumption (of 27th Rajab being the night of me’raaj) is not substantiated by any saheeh riwaayat (authentic narration).
DIFFERENT OPINIONS REGARDING THE DATE OF ME’RAAJ
Whereas (regarding the date) there are lot of different opinions. Here are some differing opinions,
- Did this journey take place before the Nubuwwat or after the Nubuwwat..?
If it was after Nubuwwat then there are 7 different opinions regarding the year.
- If it was before Hijrah then varying from 6 months to 5 years there are 8 nay 9 different opinions regarding how much period prior to Hijrah.
This in all together sum up to 18 different opinions.
1. Regarding the birth of Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) there are 2 different opinions i.e. Rabee’ul-Awwal or Ramadhaan.
- With regards to Hijrah there are 2 different opinions. That Hijrah took place after 10 years or 13 years of Nubuwwat.
All of these add up to 36 different opinions or even more.
- Regarding the month (of Me’raaj) there are 8 different opinions.
- Regarding the date there are more than 9 different opinions.
- Regarding the day there are 3 different opinions of Friday, Saturday or Monday.
(AND) THERE IS NEITHER ANY PROOF FOR GIVING PREFERENCE TO EVEN A SINGLE OPINION.
NO SPECIAL DEED OR VIRTUE OF ANY DEED ORDAINED FOR THE NIGHT OF ME’RAAJ
Hadhrat ‘Allaamah Ibn Katheer (rahimahullaahu ta’aalaa) says,
“Haafiz ‘Abdul-Ghani (rahimahullaahu ta’aalaa) has narrated this in his (kitaab on) Seerat,
“Annal-Israa-a kaana lailata Saabe wal Eshreen min Rajab”
(This journey of Me’raaj took place on 27th of Rajab)
“Wa qad aurada hadeethann laa yassihhu sanaduhu.”
(He has narrated a Hadeeth for this but its sanad (chain) is not saheeh (authentic).)”
Accordingly ‘Allaamah Qastalaani, ‘Allaamah Zurqaani (rahimahumullaahu ta’aalaa) says,
“Wa ammaa lailatul-Israa-i falam ya-ti fee arjaheeyatil-‘amali feehaa hadeethun saheehun walaa dha’eef”
(There is neither any Saheeh nor any Dha’eef Hadeeth specifying any special deed or Fadheelat (virtue) of any deed carrying more reward in this night)
“Wa lidhaalika lam yu’ayyinhan-Nabiyyu (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) liashaabihi walaa ayyanahaa ahadum-minas-Sahaabah.”
(And regarding that (night) neither did Nabee Kareem (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) specifically informed it (which night) to his Sahaabah nor did anyone amongst Sahaabah specified it (exactly which night).)
Furthermore ‘Allaamah Zurqalaani (rahimahullaahu ta’aalaa) challengingly says,
“Walaa Sahhah ilal aan walaa yassihhu ilaa antaqoomas-saa’tu feehaa shai.”
(Until now (centuries have passed by) we haven’t found any Saheeh Riwaayat (authentic narration) & nor will it be found until qiyaamah)
Because if it would have ever existed then it would surely have been found in the early era. And when there wasn’t any Saheeh Riwaayat (authentic narration) available during the early eras then how will it be available in the later times..?
So he further says,
“Walaw ta’allaqaa bihaa naf’unn lilummati walaw zarratann la bayyanahu lahum Nabiyyuhum (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam).”
(And if there was any benfit or harm relating to it (night of me’raaj) for the Ummah then Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) would have definitely informed about that.)
But Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) didn’t inform any such thing.
So be it kundey of 22nd Rajab or Fast of 27thRajab there is not a single riwaayat (narration) with saheeh sanad (authentic chain) to substantiate it.
(IN THE MONTH OF RAJAB TO SPECIFY ANY DATE (FOR EXAMPLE 27TH) FOR THE EVENT OF ME’RAAJ SO AS) TO KEEP THE FAST ON ITS DAY OR TO MAKE ‘EBAADAT IN ITS NIGHT LIKE ON THE OTHER AUSPICIOUS NIGHTS, ASSUMING IT TO BE MORE VIRTUOUS & REWARDING IS BID’AH. AS THIS IS AN EXCESS IN DEEN.
- To act within the confines of the Sharee’ah is called Deen.
- That is to follow & act upon authentically proven practises.
- To follow according to one’s desires is not Deen but to surrender & submit oneself (to the commands of Sharee’ah).
- Only those nights are considered virtuous regarding which Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) has conveyed any virtue & those nights regarding which Nabee (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam) hasn’t conveyed any virtue then they hold no virtue whatsoever.
And people have also invented some new practises specifically for that (occasion of me’raaj), for which they also present some narrations but all of which are either dha’eef (unreliably weak) or maudhoo’ (fabricated).
THERE IS NO SPECIAL ACT (ORDAINED BY SHAREE’AH) FOR THIS (EVENT OF ME’RAAJ)
May ALLAAH Ta’aalaa grant us Muslims the taufeeq to follow upon the pure & pristine Deen as Revealed, Taught & Demonstrated by Rasoolullaah (Sallallaahu ‘Alayhi Wasallam), Practised & Propagated by Sahaabah (radhiyallaahu ‘anhum) and Explained & Codified by Fuqahaa (rahmatullaahi ‘alayhim)…
And safeguard us from following the transmogrified version of Deen adulterated with our whims & desires thus earning the Wrath & Curses of ALLAAH Ta’aalaa…aameen